Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Reflection On The Expedition Journey

Written by one of our youths, Hadi

28th September 2010, the day that changed my life ever since, one day that took it all, the day that I knew about CampVision. It all started when my best friend, Umi and I, attended a study talk. Initially, I was reluctant to go, as it was in the morning and ‘burn’ my weekend mood. Somehow, I agreed to go though. When we arrived there, I realized that not only my centre, Beyond Social Services, was there, but other organizations too. Being quiet, shy and well-reserved, I kept quiet throughout the talk. I only talked when I needed to. I was eagerly waiting for the whole thing to end and when it finally did, I quickly rushed out the door.

Suddenly, this “ah beng” guy, which I found out that his name is Xiao Yang, came up to me and my best friend. He asked us to join this Expedition group who will be going to India in December for community service. My best friend, Umi, seemed excited to go. As for me, I was not keen at first. I was also approached by another youth, Azhari. He persuaded me to join and added on that it would be a fun experience. I shrugged off and went home and totally forgot about it. The following week, my social case worker, Jasmine, came up to me and told me that the Expedition leader, Serene, was keen to meet me and Umi. I agreed and waited for her to come. She gave us a brief introduction on the programme that they run, activities that will be taking part, etc. What caught me was the presentation on their first Expedition trip, Cambodia back in 2008. That was when I agreed to go!

After signing the consent form, and we received the schedules for meetings and fundraising. Soon after, Umi and I kept talking about this for days. We felt so overjoyed! The first thing Umi and I had to do was to attend the fundraising movie marathon. We took the role of the cashiers and boy, was it fun! I got to meet the other adult volunteers – Calvin, Sophia and Wendy. I also got to know which buddy team I was in, Happy! Umi was in Bandito, and both of us “complained” on how we are in different buddy teams and were separated. Sadly, I was unable to attend my first buddy team meeting and the Forest Adventure outing as I was having fever.

Then came the month of November when preparations began scurrying on me. From 12th to 13th Nov, I attended the leadership camp at Pulau Ubin. There, I got to meet the rest of the Expedition youths, Bob, Bellah, Sharifah, Tank, Farhan, NUraini, etc. Once again, the shyness in me crept over me. The first day, there was a lot of mind-challenging activities and team-bonding sessions. There I got to bond closer with my teammates, both the adults and the youths. I felt welcomed by them. I began to “lose myself” and show the real me! I got to bond more with the other youths and I felt the chemistry between them and me. I was nicknamed “gaga”, due to my crazy attitude and my idol, Lady Gaga!

At the end of the camp, I was honoured to be mentioned most by the Expedition team, saying I was brave enough to come out of my “comfort zone”. Before I knew it, tears began welling up in my eyes and I cried! I felt touched and realized that I regretted saying that I regret joining CampVision. After the camp, I began to hang out more with the youths and attended the local community service, with the Melrose Home children. We brought them to Marina Barrage for fun-filled activities and I was glad that they enjoyed the day as much as I enjoyed it. We were also calling each other by our favourite celebrities’ names like Sharifa was Beyonce, Razanoor was Bruno Mars, and Nina was Kaka. Even my best friend got one too, Robert Pattinson!

On 4th December 2010, we had a Bollywood themed party which was attended by family members and close friends of the Expedition members. My parents came down to give their support. The most embarrassing bnut yet touching part was when the Expedition team was tied together by rope and our loved ones came and walked around us. I realized I was crying and my parents came to hug me. For the first time, I did my parents proud and did not let them down. The day ended with the CampVision dance and everybody was dancing.

The two weeks I had in India will be forever etched in my mind. To me, we are like one big family. We were strangers once, but the bonding we had brought us closer. There were a lot of fun (and some sour) memories. I have to say that I cried a lot back then. Most notably, it was the part where I was sharing my life story, the lowest part of my life with my team mates. It made me realized that even though most of us had problems, the problems that we had were what made us stronger. I also got to see and heard my teammates’ stories that were heart-wrenching. I just could not stop crying hearing them.

Throughout the two weeks in India, I learnt so much from it and myself. Though there were conflicts and disagreements along the way, we managed to overcome and pull it through together as one big family. My whole adventure in CampVision for the past 6 months has been a learning milestone for me. Every time I reminisce about it, I will either find myself in tears or in joy at the end. Nothing seems greater than what I had experienced. The whole journey is priceless to me and I have to thank everyone who’s been in the team – Sophia, Nina, Nuraini, Thomas and Serene, my lovely Happy buddy teammates, Wendy, Bob, Sharifa, Calvin, Nick, my best friend Umi, Lin Lin, Shufen, Azhari, Bellah, Tank, Razanoor, Farhan, Xiao Yang, Fern, David and Gillian.

I will like to end by sharing a quote from Serene, “Some people come into your life for a reason, for you to learn something from them and they leave after that. Some people come into your life for a season, with amazing memories to keep, but then your paths separate after that and that is normal. Some people come into your life for a lifetime! They stick with you through thick and thin. Yet all are precious!”

Campvision is a place where I never felt happier to be. they accepted me for whoever i am and i do really appreciated. everyone has their own strengths&weaknesses but in CV , it's a place where I can shine and be who I am - with comfortably !

No comments:

Post a Comment