Thursday, February 4, 2010

Sharings & Learnings...

Why bring the youths overseas?

That is a question that I get sometimes... from skeptical folks who feel there is a lot of work to be done for the needy in Singapore as well. I absolutely agree, but I also think that the overseas immersion plays a significant role in youth development. It is only when we venture out from our comfort zone, removing the shackles that is the routine and conveniences of our modern life, that we learn, that we really and truly learn.

Diving into another world that is foreign yet so familiar, devoting two weeks of our lives 24/7, wholeheartedly into exemplifying and living out the meaning of service brings the experience to another level altogether.

But... let me leave you to hear it from the words of one of our youths. He was a part of the expedition in 2008, and we just got the news recently that he excelled in his studies with 5 As in his 'N' levels. I am proud of him, so so proud. Not everyone will turn out exactly the same way, treading the same footpath of success, but what is important is I know the experience was not for naught, that it mattered.

My Expedition Experience
by Tan Zhan Yang, 16
I am Zhan Yang from Expedition Agape. My trip to Cambodia was a very life-changing experience for me. When I first reached Cambodia, I remembered that my first reaction was to complain about the environment because it was too dirty to live in.

But things soon changed. The kids in Cambodia are very fun to interact with. I remembered that there was at first a communication barrier between us and the Cambodia kids because we didn’t speak their language but as days passed, we could interact with each other easily. They shared with us their culture and taught us their games. I can feel that they are pure in their hearts and spirit and they are always very happy when visitors come and play with them.

On our last night in the orphanage, we held a Christmas party and all of us enjoyed the party. The kids in Cambodia told me one thing: “This is the first and best party that they have.” When I heard this sentence, I cried and I felt sorry for them. We stayed in the orphanage for 1week, and when we were about to leave, all of us cried and the Cambodian children cried too, because we have a lot of fun memories and we have become close friends. Hence, it was very hard to say goodbye, but we didn't have a choice, and still said our goodbyes in the end to proceed to another part of Cambodia – Koh Rumdual.

When we reached the island, we saw that the people there do not have proper houses to live in like in Singapore. The houses they live in are made of leaves. We stayed for a week and during the stay, we helped to paint the walls of their school and also helped a villager to build his house. After 1 week, it was time for us to go back to Singapore. When I arrived in Singapore, my friends asked me how the trip was and what I have learnt. I told them that I am really very fortunate to be able to live in Singapore and have a family. The people in Cambodia are not so fortunate, and sometimes, do not have a proper house, family or even food.

I realise that in Singapore, we really take things for granted and always regret it after we have missed the chance. The people in Cambodia work hard in their studies though they do not have proper classrooms like us. In this regard, we can’t compare with them, because unlike them, we often don’t appreciate our school and education. In Singapore there is air-condition, but in Cambodia they don’t have the luxury. So after the trip, I always remember that there are less fortunate people and I learnt not to waste food or excessively indulge in things like PSP, MP3 and the latest handphones. I also learnt to study hard for my education.

I always tell my friends, cherish what you have now, or else when it's gone, you will regret it. Opportunity only comes once, do not miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment